Parsley, an herb abundantly found in the Mediterranean region carries a lot of nutritional weightage. It is fragrant herb and has flat-leaf variety. Apparently, it resembles coriander. The biological name of this herb is Petroselinum crispum.
But why exactly would we make you spend precious minutes of your life in reading this read-up on parsley? The reason is simple. For all the fitness freaks out there, this herb can do wonders. Not only is it instrumental from a nutritional point of view, it also can beautify you because of the antioxidants present and hence make you look younger.
So let us start with the uses and benefits.
Parsley Herb: Medical Uses & Side Effects
- Nonfattening herb: Parsley has very low calories in it. Only 36 calories are present in 100 grams of fresh parsley. Moreover it does not house any cholesterol or fat. So anyone wanting to lose weight should be very fond of this herb
- Vitamins, vitamins and vitamins: Yes parsley has many important vitamins that are essential for the functioning of human body. Parsley can help you meet 281% of daily vitamin A requirement, 220% of your daily vitamin C requirement, and 1366% of daily vitamin K requirement. Moreover, it has vitamin E and many vitamins of B-Complex along with beta-carotene. A little research might let you know how importance all these vitamins really are
- Mineral wealth: Besides various vitamins, parsley has many important mineral salts in it. Some of these are magnesium, calcium, potassium, manganese and iron. This is a scientifically acknowledged fact that minerals are imperative for optimal human functioning. Worried about your mineral intake, grab parsley?
- Essential Oils: Parsley also has various important essential oils. One of these oils, Eugenol has important applications in dentistry.
Medicinal uses: Parsley is very important for medicinal purposes as well;
- Parsley cans serve as an important antiseptic and a carminative.
- It also has diuretic
- Some studies speculate that Parsley can keep diabetes in control by reducing levels of blood sugar.
- Parsley includes high content of apigenin, which reduces the risk of cancer. It also serves as an anti-inflammatory agent.
- Parsley also helps in the enhancement of human immune system.
- Parsley also helps in preventing various heart diseases such as coronary attack and stroke.
- Parsley helps generate folic acid, which in turn protects the blood vessels.
- Parsley detoxifies our body by enhancing the productivity of liver.
- Parsley also remedies urinary tract infections.
However, excess of anything is bad. This also applies for parsley. Besides its uses and benefits, parsley also has certain side effects. It might be helpful to have a look at those as well.
- Pregnant and breast-feeding women beware: Parsley can be injurious to pregnant and breast-feeding women when taken orally in large amount.
- Kidney disease: Ironically parsley can also worsen kidney disease besides curing urinary infections. Kidney patients, you decide what to do!
- High blood pressure: Parsley can also be a cause of high blood pressure by making body retaining sodium.
- Low blood sugar: As mentioned above, parsley can educe blood sugar level. So it should not be taken before surgical processes to avoid excess weakness. Even in routine life, excess parsley consumption might affect your balance equilibrium and cause you to fall.
- Seizures: Research states that parsley may also lead to seizures and convulsions
- Headache: Parsley consumption might also lead to headache in certain individuals.
Therefore, while it is important to consume parsley herb for its wondrous benefits, it is also important to check the side effects. Discontinue if you face any!